(Ottawa, ON) Wheelchair Basketball Canada has released the list of top under-23 wheelchair basketball players attending Team Canada’s selection camp in Toronto June 24-30, 2013. The selected players will form the Canadian Men’s U23 National Team for the Junior World Championship taking place September 5-15, 2013 in Adana, Turkey.
Seventeen athletes will compete for 12 roster spots. The camp roster includes 12 returning players from the Americas Zone Qualification Tournament in March 2013, where the junior national team placed first, securing them a spot in this year’s world championship.
The 17 athletes attending selection camp are: (athletes’ city of residence indicated – returning athletes in bold)
- Aidan Love (Whitehorse, Yukon)
- Alexandre Courcelles (Saint-Roch-de-l’Achigan, Que.)
- Eric Voss (St. Marys, Ont.)
- Hisham Mohammed (Whitby, Ont.)
- Jack Kosterman (Fort Langley, B.C.)
- Jeremy Watts (Charlottetown, P.E.I.)
- Joel Watts (Charlottetown, P.E.I.)
- Jonathan Vermette (Sherbrooke, Que.)
- Joshua Davies (London, Ont.)
- Justin Johnson (Langley, B.C.)
- Kevin Wakeling (Cambridge, Ont.)
- Liam Hickey (St. John’s, Nfld.)
- Mitch Bossaer (Saskatoon, Sask.)
- Nik Goncin (Regina, Sask.)
- Philippe Vermette (Sherbrooke, Que.)
- Reid Richard (Tyvan, Sask.)
- Vincent Dallaire (Quebec City, Que.)
Head Coach: Steve Bialowas (Richmond Hill, Ont.)
About the Men’s U23 National Team
Team Canada has competed at each of the first four Junior World Championships. Canada won back-to-back gold medals at the tournament, first at the inaugural event on home soil in 1997, and then again in Brazil in 2001. The Canadians placed sixth at the 2005 Men’s U23 World Championship in Birmingham, UK, and most recently finished eighth at the last tournament in France in 2009.